In 1910, the Corum family settled at the edge of Rogers Dry Lakebed. In addition to raising alfalfa and turkeys, they located other homesteaders in the area for a fee of $1 per acre.
As those settlers moved in, the Corum brothers earned contracts for drilling water wells and clearing land. They also opened a general store and post office. Their request to have the post office stop named “Corum” was disallowed because there was already a Coram, Calif. So they simply reversed the spelling of their name and named it “Muroc”. Small, isolated homesteads dotted the land over the next 20 years.
In December 1949, Muroc was renamed Edwards Air Force Base in honor of Capt. Glen W. Edwards, who was killed a year earlier in the crash of the YB-49 Flying Wing.
Read the full history: